From: Lorenzo Hernandez Garcia-Hierro <lorenzo@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: linux-usb-devel@×××××××××××××××××.net
Subject: [gentoo-dev] 2.6.11-gentoo-r7: If USB core API (usbcore) is built-in, it conflicts with the rest of usb-dependent modules
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 19:50:35
1 Hi,
2
3 After some talk to gregkh, I've decided to send this message as it might
4 give some light regarding the breakage of the USB modules when usbcore
5 is built-in instead of compiled as module.
6
7 Modules that are breaking with CONFIG_USB=y :
8
9 - audio, bfusb, bcm203x, bpa10x, hci_usb, usblp, usb-midi, cdc_acm,
10 uhci-hcd, ohci-hcd, ehci-hcd, usb-storage...
11
12 For those, the core API symbols that follow are missing as of the
13 built-in selected option:
14
15 usbserial: Unknown symbol usb_alloc_urb
16 usbserial: Unknown symbol usb_free_urb
17 usbserial: Unknown symbol usb_register
18 usbserial: Unknown symbol usb_put_dev
19 usbserial: Unknown symbol usb_get_dev
20 usbserial: Unknown symbol usb_submit_urb
21 usbserial: Unknown symbol usb_match_id
22 usbserial: Unknown symbol usb_control_msg
23 usbserial: Unknown symbol usb_deregister
24 usbserial: Unknown symbol usb_kill_urb
25
26 The symbols are in the System map:
27
28 c02fd7b0 T usb_free_urb
29 c02fd7d0 T usb_get_urb
30 c02fd800 T usb_submit_urb
31 c02fdaa0 T usb_unlink_urb
32 c02fdb40 T usb_kill_urb
33 (...)
34
35 Greg suggested on fixing the Kconfig but I'm not sure if this a
36 Gentoo-only issue, or it's widely. Thus, if it needs to be fixed, let me
37 know and I'll get over it ASAP as it might be a blocking issue in
38 certain cases.
39
40 (It doesn't seem to be a good idea to let all the USB-related drivers
41 getting built-in)
42
43 Thanks in advance,
44 cheers.