From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:57:25
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
> Since Grub Legacy and Grub 2 are slotted, Portage won't remove the > older version. Even if it removes the older one, everything necessary > is installed into /boot and the MBR already.
Portage will remove the older slot the next time the user runs emerge --depclean unless sys-boot/grub:0 is added to the world file. I'm looking for a good way to communicate this to the user. How about this: For ~arch, we do an ewarn in pkg_postinst if grub:0 is installed. For stable, we do a news item.
> > The best route forward would be to instruct people to use > grub2-install (but whatever the flag is to prevent MBR installation). > Have people generate their grub.cfg with grub2-mkconfig and then put a > chain loader into the Grub Legacy configs so that they can test Grub 2 > and then once they test it tell them to install Grub 2 into the MBR > and remove Grub Legacy.
Yeah, I vaguely remember trying this when I first installed grub:2. You can prevent the MBR installation by stubbing out the grub-setup call. For example: grub2-install --grub-setup=/bin/true /dev/sda You would then load /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img just like a Linux kernel from menu.lst. If you (or anyone) wants to test and verify that this actually works, that would be great.
> > I'll gladly work with you on this. IMHO, it might be a good plan to > unmask and ~arch one of the release candidates with an aim to get Grub > 2.0.0 fully released with docs.
That sounds like a good idea.

Subject Author
[gentoo-dev] Re: grub:2 keywords Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>