From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:57:25
1 On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
2 > Since Grub Legacy and Grub 2 are slotted, Portage won't remove the
3 > older version. Even if it removes the older one, everything necessary
4 > is installed into /boot and the MBR already.
5
6 Portage will remove the older slot the next time the user runs emerge
7 --depclean unless sys-boot/grub:0 is added to the world file. I'm
8 looking for a good way to communicate this to the user.
9
10 How about this: For ~arch, we do an ewarn in pkg_postinst if grub:0 is
11 installed. For stable, we do a news item.
14 > The best route forward would be to instruct people to use
15 > grub2-install (but whatever the flag is to prevent MBR installation).
16 > Have people generate their grub.cfg with grub2-mkconfig and then put a
17 > chain loader into the Grub Legacy configs so that they can test Grub 2
18 > and then once they test it tell them to install Grub 2 into the MBR
19 > and remove Grub Legacy.
20
21 Yeah, I vaguely remember trying this when I first installed grub:2.
22 You can prevent the MBR installation by stubbing out the grub-setup
23 call. For example:
24
25 grub2-install --grub-setup=/bin/true /dev/sda
26
27 You would then load /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img just like a Linux
28 kernel from menu.lst.
29
30 If you (or anyone) wants to test and verify that this actually works,
31 that would be great.
34 > I'll gladly work with you on this. IMHO, it might be a good plan to
35 > unmask and ~arch one of the release candidates with an aim to get Grub
36 > 2.0.0 fully released with docs.
37
38 That sounds like a good idea.