From: Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: foser <foser@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Arches marking ebuilds stable before maintainer
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 02:53:01
1 On Saturday 19 June 2004 11:21 am, foser wrote:
2 > My initial email tried so hard to not make 'maintainer arch' the same as
3 > 'x86', then why do you bring that up as a focus point. It is this
4 > attitude (my arch vs yours) that makes it hard to get any healthy
5 > discussion going here.
6
7 well most maintainers are on x86, no? i was venting valid frustrations here.
8
9 > -* means broken on all arches by definition. Sure it's a pretty good
10 > solution here for what you want to do, but it still is bending the
11 > rules.
12
13 -* is the only way to add an ebuild for testing without forcing it on ~arch
14 users. i still have -* in keywords for the convenience of x86 users who want
15 to test and port x86 software to gcc 3.4 (and submit patches on bugzilla) by
16 simply adding "sys-devel/gcc -*" to package.keywords.
17
18 > What i see from your developers tale here, is that you do your testing
19 > in the live tree. I mean serious.. messing libtool, gcc & glibc and
20 > being happy with that ? I'd say that stuff should've been done in
21 > package.mask, certainly not in ~arch. One used to get his cvs access
22 > rights under discussion after these kind of things.
23
24 i didnt break binutils or commit the ebuild that was wonky. i simply noticed
25 and used -* to mask it... since they contained fixes for uclibc users and
26 only worked for them. as for the gcc mistake, everything worked for me with
27 that release until i tried to compile a kernel. and yes, this was when the
28 ebuild was still -*. and yes, it was necessary to have it in the tree for
29 testing/porting help from other devs/users, without which i would have had a
30 lot more headaches fixing stuff up for gcc 3.4. as for glibc, like i said...
31 it passed "make check" as long as i didnt use portage to do it. i found out
32 that this was a sandbox problem that for some reason didnt stop the tests...
33 this wasnt me using ~arch for testing in the live tree, it already passed all
34 testing and i was just a tad bit confused.
35
36 do i really need to defend myself here? if you think i shouldnt have cvs
37 access, feel free to let the right people know. i'm already suspended for
38 snapping at you. to quote another dev (anonymously) "we've been wanting to
39 tell foser that for a long time", so i'm assuming you've been pissing off
40 mips devs too. perhaps we should all have our cvs access removed :)
41
42 > Well, i assume the yahoo plugin worked on x86 at that point. 'x86' here
43 > being the 'maintainers arch' i assume, it was ready for going stable.
44 > Next 64bits arch weren't stable, so you did the right thing not marking
45 > it as such. 'x86' again is mentioned here, it's irrelevant which
46 > platform is the 'maintainers arch', don't get so hang up on x86. It is a
47 > measuring stick that the _ebuild_ & _package_ were tested at that time.
48 > I wonder if they even were aware of the 64bit platform problems, if so
49 > they should've probably pushed to 64 bit teams to mark it -<arch> for
50 > their respective platforms (known not to work). See, the 'maintainers
51 > arch' should know about _all_ problems with the packages. If you were
52 > aware of it & failed to inform them, then this is really your mistake
53 > showing.
54
55 i love how this is changing from the topic to explaining how little faith you
56 have in me here. yes, i mentioned it. and i think the maintainer let upstream
57 know what version worked and that lead to an upstream fix. go team. :)
58
59 you missed the fact entirely that the maintainer's arch is often x86 and this
60 makes things difficult for other arch maintainers if it's the arch to judge
61 things by.
62
63 marking it -arch would be a bad idea, as only that plugin was seriously broken
64 and it's mainly an aim client.
65
66 the maintainer's arch cant always know about problems... for example, i was
67 pretty confident about gcc 3.4 after doing a 3.4 only install on amd64 and
68 ppc64 just to realise that this was still not really possible on x86 (at the
69 time)... and i only realised this from reading the forums and bugzilla, not
70 because some interested x86 dev came to me and said so.
71
72 > Actually 'i haven't marked this as stable yet on my arch' is a good
73 > reason if the ebuild maintainer tells you so, for the simple reason that
74 > you lack the overview over the full package maintenance outside the
75 > scope of your arch. I cannot believe how you can so easily disregard
76 > this form of basic QA.
77
78 if it's the ONLY reason, it is NOT a good reason. if there is another reason
79 WHY it hasnt been marked stable, then THAT is the "good reason" for not
80 marking it stable on another arch... did you read my argument or are all my
81 words pointless to you and not worth your time?
82
83 > As an example of it can go wrong, there was an arch that marked gtk+-2.4
84 > stable before the maintainers arch & effectively broke the building of
85 > over a dozen packages in the tree. The maintainers were keeping it in
86 > ~arch to get those issues fixed, but with their QA hurting ways the arch
87 > got their users into trouble for no reason whatsoever. In smaller ways
88 > this has happened numerous times now with different arches doing it.
89
90 i was aware of the issues involved here and thus didnt touch this version on
91 my arch until it was stable on x86 for a good while. /then/ i marked it
92 stable... you made it very well known that there were problems, as did the
93 bug reports on bugzilla. there was a good reason here for not marking it
94 stable other than the fact that it wasnt marked stable on the maintainer's
95 arch (x86).
96
97 > Your arguments tend to be emotional and really based on an arch vs arch
98 > attitude, not willing to take into account serious QA problems in your
99 > 'solutions'. See it in the bigger picture of Gentoo overall quality for
100 > once, not your shortsighted amd64 only vision.
101
102 amd64, ppc64, and mips lately thankyou (well, due to the N32 mips port). i
103 cant have an arch-only view when i'm working with the toolchain... perhaps
104 you'll need to get rid of all your x86 boxes to see why it might be a bit
105 frustrating. i have root on a dual g5, an 18 processor mips box, i have my
106 amd64 box for amd64 and some very rare but needed x86 testing... hell, i even
107 got yelled at once for making too many glibc snapshots cuz i had to first fix
108 something on ppc64 and then to fix nptl on *gasp* x86 since i caught ulrich
109 drepper at the start of a series of cvs commits. i'm not just operational
110 lead for amd64 you know ;p
115 Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
118 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list