From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Scientific Gentoo reorg: the proposal
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 18:54:31
1 First, thanks to everybody who responded! (not that tehre were many ;)).
2 Interestingly, the most positive result so far seems to be two people
3 expressing interest to join :), so we need at least one more mentor I'd say..
4
5 I'll start by refreshing general changes that were proposed:
6
7 1. Make Scientific Gentoo a top-level and create subprojects
8 - this did not seem to get any complaints. So, when we are done with the
9 mainpart I'll try to update the page, like move it to a proper location, redo
10 the blurb and provide links to subprojects. Then I'll ask corresponding teams
11 to produce some descriptions for the corresponding subprojects (its the
12 same .xml essentially, just change the description paraagraph). But lets
13 first get done with the reorg itself..
14
15 2. Create smaller, topical herds to split 316 packages we have under sci right
16 now.
17 - Looks like most people assumed a natural herding of packages by categories
18 (of course sci-libs should not be a separate herd, packages under it should
19 fall under whatever makes sense), so lets try to start by creating a layout
20 that follows. Here are the categories, as they stand now:
21
22 aldar portage # for fn in sci-*; do echo "$fn: $(ls -1 $fn|wc -l)"; done
23 sci-astronomy: 11
24 sci-biology: 58
25 sci-calculators: 26
26 sci-chemistry: 50
27 sci-electronics: 34
28 sci-geosciences: 8
29 sci-libs: 62
30 sci-mathematics: 34
31 sci-misc: 19
32 sci-visualization: 20
33
34 Further is based on a quick glance at ChangeLog's (since I did not get much
35 responce from actual mainatiners ;), so I may have missed somebody/listed
36 somebody extra. Please check and comment accordingly)
37
38 sci-astronomy: 11
39 an Ok size I'd say, devs:
40 morfic, phosphan, zx, ribosome, aliz, corsair, mr_bones_
41
42 sci-biology: 58
43 rather large, may be worth splitting more, no particular suggestions yet
44 though, devs:
45 ribosome, blubb, corsair, j4rg0n, mcummings, sediener, pbienst, apokorny,
46 hansmi?, phosphan, lostlogic?
47
48 sci-calculators: 26
49 split off math at some point IIRC (or was that a discussion that it should be
50 separate and it started like that from the inception?). size: Ok, devs:
51 centic?, cryos, ribosome, spyderous?, many people who appear one or twice..
52
53 sci-chemistry: 50
54 may be worth splitting up as well. One suggestion is to make a category for
55 sci-crystallography. I seem to have persuaded Jan Marten Simons to at least
56 try :). If he indeed is willing to take on this subject it may be well worth
57 creating this category, or at least herd..
58 devs:
59 spyderous, markusle?, phosphan, marcus, hannes, ribosome?, kugelfang,
60 agriffis, hansmi?
63 sci-electronics: 34
64 Ok size, devs:
65 calchan, chrb?, agriffis?, phosphan, ribosome, blubb?, plasmaroo, hansmi,
66 cryos?, gustavoz?
69 sci-geosciences: 8
70 good size (for maintainers :)), devs:
71 ribosome, spyderous, cryos, nerdboy, mholzer?
72
73 sci-mathematics: 34
74 Ok size. There were calls to split it into symbolic and numeric, also -proof
75 was suggested (but I understand the packages for that one are not in the tree
76 yet). 3-tier categories might be nice here :) (as in sci-math-symbolic,
77 sci-math-numeric..). devs:
78 plasmaroo, agriffis?, mattam, cryos, ribosome?, markusle, spock, phosphan
79
80 sci-misc: 19
81 Size is Ok, but, if we follow the idea, should probably stay under sci (herd)
82 devs:
83 cryos, hansmi?, phosphan, ribosome, kugelfang?, pbienst, blubb?
84
85 sci-visualization: 20
86 Ok size, may be combined with -calculators? or -math? (herding, if it makes
87 sense, category should stay), devs:
88 markusle, phosphan, ribosome, cryos, kugelfang, latexer?, j4rg0n?, corsair?,
89 spyderous
92 Furthere,
93 sci-cad was suggested and it looks like there may be a critical mass of > 5
94 packages, but more planning is necessary on this one..
95
96 There was a suggestion for sci-phonetics or sci-linguistics. There is a dev
97 (translator's team, so he will need to be mentored for the "generic
98 development") who is willing to take on those, however I first need to see
99 how many packages would be there. If anything it will be good to have him as
100 a part of the team, even if this does not qualify for a full category (but
101 still should be good for herd I guess..)
102
103 There were talks about creating sci-physics category, however I cannot find
104 traces of that atm (or was it on irc?). If there really are apps for
105 sci-physics it can start combined with sci-astronomy (or not, need a list of
106 packages..)
107
108 Any comments on the structure? Also, while sci-xxx is a "natural" name for the
109 category (considering our present layout) it is somewhat cumbersome for the
110 herd. I guess sci- part may be dropped, then, should the rest stay spelled
111 out or people would prefere shortcuts, like math for mathematics, etc?
112
113 George
114 --
115 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list