From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New install isos needed
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:20:53
1 Hi!
2
3 On Mon, 25 Mar 2013, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
4 > > SysRescueCD does not exist for the fringe architectures.
5 > Then make it. That way we will have a reliable install medium for all
6 > architectures, an as an added bonus we will have helped a different
7 > free software project become more useful to our community (i.e. the
8 > free software community, but by extension the Gentoo community as well).
9
10 This not quite as easy as it may seem. I suspect getting SRCD to
11 work with, say, aboot instead of isolinux. Its build process
12 probably is not accommodating that. Now remember that this has to
13 be modular since there is no point in tending to patches for all
14 the architectures we want.
15
16 Booting is the most obvious part. But I am reasonably sure that
17 SRCD uses some programs as integral parts that won't build or run
18 reliably on some of the architectures I mentioned. Now you
19 suddenly have to modularize the whole thing.
20
21 I'm not saying it's impossible, but it surely isn't just a matter
22 of "recompile it for sparc". I might take a look at it over the
23 easter holidays, but I doubt I'll have anything beyond "it's
24 feasible" vs. "it can't work because of X". End note that my
25 expertise is Alpha, I can't speak for any of the other
26 architectures when it comes to feasibility.
27
28 Regards,
29 Tobias
33 "Brain, konban wa nani o shimashitai?"
34 "Your Japanese is terrible, Pinky."