From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Projects without a homepage, and valid contents of HOMEPAGE (per bug 239268)
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 11:00:20
1 For projects where the upstream has vanished off the face of the planet,
2 and the project was reasonably obscure, but the code works fine still,
3 there's problems with either the requirements of HOMEPAGE or the repoman
4 check.
5
6 From PMS:
7 \item[HOMEPAGE] The URI or URIs for a package's homepage, including
8 protocols. May be defined by an eclass. See section~\ref{dependencies}
9 for full syntax.
10
11 Devmanual:
12 HOMEPAGE: Package's homepage. If you are unable to locate an official
13 one, try to provide a link to freshmeat.net or a similar package
14 tracking site. Never refer to a variable name in the string; include
15 only raw text.
16
17 As Infra, I suggested that zero or more valid URLs should be present in
18 the bug where the question was raised.
19
20 However repoman doesn't like an empty HOMEPAGE variable:
21
22 HOMEPAGE.missing 1
23 app-mobilephone/smssend/smssend-3.4.ebuild
24
25 Either we need special cases to declare that it no longer has a
26 homepage, or we need to allow the empty HOMEPAGE.
27
28 I'm in favour of allowing the variable to empty, because I'm a lazy
29 upstream, and I haven't even made a basic webpage for some of my
30 projects (diradm, localshell, readahead-list, etc).
33 Robin Hugh Johnson
34 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
35 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
36 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85