From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-kernel] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:51:01
1 On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:33:30 -0700
2 Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 09:25:42PM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 14:09:57 -0500
6 > > Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > If the patchset patches the kernel's core, it doesn't matter what
8 > > > CONFIG_* option is set the core kernel code
9 > > > _has_now_been_changed_. This is the crux of the argument, I
10 > > > believe. AUFS simply being one example of this. I'm sure there
11 > > > are others.
12 > >
13 > > As per my response to that point, this statement is no longer true.
14 > >
15 > > Let me re-iterate it here:
16 > >
17 > > Earlier I mentioned "3) The patch should not affect the build by
18 > > default."; if it does, we have to adjust it to not do that, this is
19 > > something that can be easily scripted. It's just a matter of
20 > > embedding each + block in the diff with a config check and updating
21 > > the counts.
22 >
23 > Wonderful, now you are maintaining a patch that looks nothing like the
24 > one created by the original developers, nor tested by anyone else
25 > other than gentoo developers.
26
27 I can convert the original developer's patch whenever he updates it; or
28 on top of that, write a script to generate the original patch back.
29
30 > Playing fast-and-loose with kernel patches is a fun thing to do, but
31 > really, why? Users love doing this type of thing, but the
32 > interactions of different kernel patches with core subsystems is
33 > almost always a non-trivial thing.
34
35 Our main intent is to provide them and deduplicate work; if users have
36 a problem with one of the patches and it isn't clear to us, we can
37 forward them to the authors. Nothing in this proposal inherits that we
38 must support the patches; especially not, since they are "experimental".
39
40 > I'm not saying not to do this, but consider this a friendly warning
41 > that this is going to be a MAJOR pain to maintain and debug over the
42 > long-run.
43
44 Maybe, maybe not; plan is to do a slow start, congestion avoidance. :)
45
46 > But hey, what do I know? It's not like I've ever done this before and
47 > had the experience of the resulting fall-out that took years to
48 > recover from on user's production systems, causing a number of
49 > enterprise Linux companies to swear that they would never do this
50 > type of thing again...
51
52 I covered this in the conditions as well as the F.A.Q.; feel free to
53 read about it again, this does not affect them unless they explicitly
54 want them to enable CONFIG_GENTOO_EXPERIMENTAL which help includes a
55 warning; thinking it through, we might even suffix -exp to version.
56
57 > Personally, I wish you luck, it will push the sane users to the
58 > vanilla-sources tree, which I strongly encourage :)
59
60 I will push them to keep CONFIG_GENTOO_EXPERIMENTAL disabled. :)
61
62 > greg "kids, get off my lawn!" k-h
63
64 Gentoo (Penguin) and Larry do not necessarily like grass; they might
65 like ice, fire, water, earth, ... whatever their appetite craves.
68 With kind regards,
69
70 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
71 Gentoo Developer
72
73 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
74 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
75 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D