From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:02:00
1 On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 01:05 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > > It is my opinion that the news reading application need not be
3 > > integrated into portage. As far as I have understood it, the only real
4 > > thing that anyone has required portage itself to do is to
5 > > *automatically* spit out "You have $n unread news messages. Please use
6 > > $bleh to read them" at certain times (after sync, after --pretend,
7 > > before/after a merge). I don't see this as being something very
8 > > complex. I would assume that some extra code would need to be written
9 > > into the sync code somewhere to sort the messages.
10 >
11 > This, I get. What I'm wondering about is the `emerge --news` that is referred
12 > to every so often.
13
14 emerge --news is just what people have been calling the news reader. As
15 far as I can see, unless you *want* portage to handle the news reading,
16 it should *not* have a --news option.
17
18 > To be honest, this is the part that I don't like the most. Integrating code
19 > into portage to copy files here and there based on some predefined rules and
20 > news readers reading and renaming files based on some predefined rules...
21 > A filesystem based API just doesn't seem very robust to change.
22 >
23 > I'd prefer that either the post-sync handling code is not integrated into
24 > portage and portage just triggers some external script - or - portage exposes
25 > an API (via python and bash) for accessing and updating news items. I'd
26 > prefer the latter but I get the impression that most prefer the former.
27
28 I believe that we have been under the impression that you guys preferred
29 to keep this out of portage as much as possible. I think an API built
30 into portage *would* be the best method for this.
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
35 x86 Architecture Team
36 Games - Developer