From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Commercial" software in portage
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:34:00
1 On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 00:31 +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:51:16 -0400
3 > Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Basically, we just add "commercial" to LICENSE in the ebuild, and (if
6 > > wanted or necessary) add "check_license
7 > > $licese_required_to_be_accepted" to pkg_setup on the ebuild. While
8 > > this will break completely interactive ebuilds until GLEP23 is fully
9 > > implemented, a user can add the license to make.conf in an
10 > > ACCEPT_LICENSE variable, to keep portage from asking again. This
11 > > means when a user does an "emerge -S" they will see the nice little
12 > > "commercial" listed under licenses, which will hopefully trigger to
13 > > them that this package is not free. Another possible addition is a
14 > > "commercial-free" license, which would cover things like America's
15 > > Army and Enemy Territory (I'm sure there are others, but I know of
16 > > these two) that are free for users to use, but are still commercial
17 > > software.
18 >
19 > Can't say that I exactly like this, mainly because "commercial"
20 > wouldn't be a real license and so kinda blurs the meaning of LICENSE.
21 > But then one could say the same about "as-is". My other concern is that
22 > there is no clear criteria for commercial packages, e.g. are sun-jdk /
23 > other fetch restricted packages commercial?
24
25 I thought I had made it fairly clear, but I can elaborate.
26
27 "commercial" would be anything that requires a purchase to use. This
28 could be anything from specific media (such as most games) to a CD key
29 or license file.
30
31 The basic idea is to put in a marker to let people know that "This won't
32 work without you spending money."
33
34 This isn't a marker of whether something is proprietary, but rather a
35 marker of whether something works out of the box. Sun's JDK, while it
36 could be argued whether it would be "commercial" or not, does work out
37 of the box, once you fetch the sources. You don't have to purchase it.
38
39 > That said, it's probably the best approach that doesn't require portage
40 > changes.
41
42 This is primarily why I proposed it, as it can be done now without any
43 extra code for portage.
46 Chris Gianelloni
47 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
48 Games - Developer