From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 15:21:56
1 On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 16:52:37 +0300
2 Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 15:06:07 +0200
5 > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 21:16:07 +0300
8 > > Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > udev's case:
11 > > > It's _not_ the kernel which upgrade breaks user's system. Why do
12 > > > you try to "fix" it? If you want to save user's box - make check
13 > > > at pre-install time. Otherwise it will break.
14 > >
15 > > Won't work for stage3's case, where this check won't run.
16 >
17 > Non-issue.
18 > - stage3 does not work out of the box. you can't boot or run it
19 > - stage3 does not work at all in containers w/o devtmpfs kernel.
20 > no matter what you try to force on newly built kernel.
21
22 Make check doesn't work there. A distro default config option does.
23
24 > Let's consider real-world examples:
25 >
26 > My friend at cloud hosting company decided to try gentoo on
27 > a xen hypervisor box (3.0.6 host w/o devtmpfs). unpacked old
28 > stage3, which worked; merged new stuff there and rebooted.
29 > No kernel change, old xen 3.0.6. Guess what happened when he
30 > upgraded udev afterwards.
31 >
32 > Another my friend unpacked stage3 on his handheld with android kernel.
33 > 2.6.3x-something w/o accept4() syscall. Original stage3 worked,
34 > upgrade broke system.
35
36 Stage3 contains the upgraded udev these days.
37
38 > > > kernel's case:
39 > > > CONFIG_DEVTMPFS needs 'default yes', right? One-liner to
40 > > > gentoo-sources.
41 > >
42 > > It's not as simple as a one-liner, because we need to respect people
43 > > that want to build a kernel without that; not everyone who uses
44 > > genpatches runs a Gentoo system, and note every other OS needs that
45 > > variable to enabled.
46 >
47 > 'default yes' is a Kconfig option. It picks a value if user didn't
48 > pick it explicitely.
49 >
50 > linux/drivers/base/Kconfig:
51 > config DEVTMPFS
52 > bool "Maintain a devtmpfs filesystem to mount at /dev"
53 > depends on HOTPLUG
54 > + default y
55 >
56 > One-liner, no?
57
58 We don't want to change DEVTMPFS itself, because not everyone whom
59 uses genpatches wants DEVTMPFS itself enabled by default; we instead
60 plan to provide it as a distribution specific option that enables it.
61
62 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/13/369
63
64 > > > Why 'hide' it? It's very counterintuitive.
65 > >
66 > > What is being hidden?
67 >
68 > You plan to have it visible only when something gentoo-specific needs
69 > to be disabled.
70
71 No, I did not state such thing.
72
73 > [from origina post]
74 > > This is why I think it would be handy to add a Gentoo section to
75 > > the kernel, along the lines as described by Linus.
76 > >
77 > > https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/13/369
78 >
79 > AFAIU I won't allow deselecting option until you deselect
80 > gentoo-specific bit.
81
82 Then you disable the bit and deselect it, I don't see a problem here.
83
84 > If you plan to upstream everything, then ok, no distro-specific hacks.
85
86 I don't see how providing distro default options as described is a hack.
87
88 > > > What will you do with all-those-required-to-boot-properly
89 > > > - root filesystem
90 > > > - disk controller
91 > > > - USB keyboard drivers
92 > > > ?
93 > > > Include them all unless CONFIG_DONT_REMOVER_OR_WONT_BOOT
94 > > > option?
95 > >
96 > > These don't fall under options that need to be enabled for everyone.
97 > >
98 > > From what I see on chat and forums, people often set all these fine;
99 > > yet they not always enable CONFIG_DEVTMPFS and similar variables.
100 > >
101 > > We deal with the absolutely necessary, not spoon feed every option.
102 > >
103 > > > I'm afraid I don't see how it's a solution.
104 > > > Suppose, tomorrow's udev will require CONFIG_foo, and glibc will
105 > > > require CONFIG_bar. How will you save user with your mechanism?
106 > >
107 > > I don't see how we don't save them; but well, I'm not entirely sure
108 > > if you're talking about the opening post mechanism or another one
109 > > here.
110 >
111 > Yeah, the opening post one.
112 > Suppose, tomorrow's udev requires CONFIG_CGROUPS=y.
113 > What are your actions to save user's box?
114
115 If it's along the lines of what's proposed, add it as well.
116
117 > Issue new gentoo-sources and pray user will install/boot it
118 > before new udev? See my first two examples.
119
120 That's what news items are for; we're not trying to deal with this
121 short term case, but rather with the long term case after that.
124 With kind regards,
125
126 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
127 Gentoo Developer
128
129 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
130 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
131 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D