From: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Xbox architecture support
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:37:12
1 On Sunday 23 May 2004 00:07, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Saturday 22 May 2004 06:26 pm, Ed Schouten wrote:
3 > > Could you please reconsider your thoughts on Xbox-Linux support?
4 > > Searching for interested developers wouldn't take too much effort.
5 >
6 > i havent seen anyone come forth and volunteer other than Shallax and he has
7 > since made a decent fork into Gentoox
8 > -mike
9
10 If you checked the "xbox support" bug report Ed referred to you'd see that at
11 least 3 people (apart from Shallax) have so far offered to help maintain xbox
12 support in Gentoo. As we have also said, gentoox is not gentoo - it has its
13 own packaging system, and is quite constrained in the type of systems it can
14 build (no xbox ebuilds - binaries are downloaded, no 2.6 or alternative
15 kernels, etc.). Now in the bug report Shallax has gone into why it was made
16 this way (seemingly a lack of support from other gentoo devs), but
17 regardless, it is not the gentoo that we are looking for.
18
19 Jon Portnoy suggested that we should start some serious
20 discussions about whether:
21
22 a) is xbox support worth it? Do people want to run gentoo on their xboxes?
23
24 For me the answer is yes, but I can't say for people in general. Maybe there
25 should be a vote.
26
27 b) The potential legal ramifications
28
29 I second Ed. If xbox linux were legally dodgy, Microsoft would've taken action
30 against them by now. I could point out that there are already ebuilds of more
31 dubious legality in gentoo (win32codecs?). My view is that ebuilds are just
32 sets of detailed instructions and are no more illegal than chemistry books on
33 drug manufacturing.. and if we were going to go to the extent of not having
34 ebuilds for fear of lawsuits we should really stop shipping those pesky
35 kernel ebuilds in case they contain some companies proprietory code.
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list