From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo theming during bootup
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:20:43
1 Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Curtis Napier wrote: [Mon Apr 10 2006, 09:53:04AM CDT]
3 >> I'm willing to theme *.gentoo.org to match [...].
4 >
5 > Speaking of which, what is the current status of the web redesign?
6 >
7 > Thanks,
8 > g2boojum
9
10 Well, I was planning on announcing this later on but I guess now is as
11 good a time as any.
12
13 The redesign as it was known up until this point is no more. There were
14 things the winner of the contest had to do and he failed to do them
15 (after almost 2 years of trying to get him too). I discussed it with
16 klieber a little and after much thought I have decided that the
17 WWW-Redesign Contest is now officially dead and abandoned.
18
19 Instead, I'm now the "Web Coordinator". I proposed this new role to the
20 Infra Leads and met no resistance or objections so I have taken the
21 initiative and created the role. Also, neysx and I together were
22 approached and offered to be the new www node administrators as a team.
23 Of course we both said yes. Official Infra Monkey at last! :D
24
25 As Web Coordinator I am responsible for ensuring a consistent look and
26 feel and adherence to standards across all *.gentoo.org sites.
27
28 This includes standardizing on an xhtml-1.0 layout with a standard set
29 of css id's and classes so that a single "core" style sheet can be
30 shared across all *.gentoo.org sites with a minimal custom style sheet
31 being imported to take care of the site specific styling. This will make
32 it **so** easy to change the ENTIRE *.gentoo.org web presence
33 layout/design by simply dropping in a new style sheet.
34
35 Basically what I'll be doing is letting the individual maintainers of
36 the various sites focus on the back-end functionality of their sites.
37 Leaving the forward facing html/css for me to worry about freeing up
38 their valuable time.
39
40 wwwredesign.gentoo.org already has been converted and is going live on
41 www.gentoo.org shortly (we just have a few last minute things to do).
42
43 I'm also working on bugday.g.o (with gurliegebis), planet.g.o and
44 torrents.g.o and those 3 should be ready to go by the end of the month.
45 Hopefully upstream for planet and torrents will accept my patches where
46 applicable. Even if they don't these web-apps are pretty simplistic and
47 keeping a customized version up-to-date will be no problem.
48
49 I'll be working with tomk on forums.g.o and we already have a plan in
50 the works. The forum has already been so heavily modified that it is
51 almost not even recognizable as a phpbb anymore. tomk says we can pretty
52 much do what we want to it (within reason) without having to worry about
53 upstream accepting our modifications.
54
55 bugs.g.o will be done with jforman. bugs.g.o is a touchy one, it's one
56 of our most used resources so it will have to be done very slowly, very
57 carefully and I'll have to get all the relevant patches accepted
58 upstream. I doubt jforman wants to stray from the official upstream
59 release very much, I haven't talked to him about this yet though so I'm
60 not sure. bugs may end up getting a new header/footer and nothing else.
61 We'll see how it goes.
62
63 packages.g.o is a custom web-app written and maintained by marduk who is
64 currently busy in real life. I'm putting this one on the bottom of the
65 list until he gets more free time. I *could* just style the existing
66 site without him but he is working on packages-2.0 and it will add a lot
67 of needed functionality. I'd rather wait and do this the right way
68 instead of wasting time styling a site that he is going to replace anyway.
69
70 Neysx and I also have a plan to make the stylesheet user selectable so
71 we can offer multiple themes. He already has a semi-working prototype at
72 gentoo.neysx.org (it doesn't work in IE). I'll extend that concept to
73 all the other websites. This fits perfectly with the idea of theming the
74 websites to match the liveCD's. We can offer that theme as the default
75 but still let people choose the "classic" style or any other styles we
76 may offer.
77
78 Realistically speaking I can have all of this done by the 2007.0 release
79 (maybe not bugs - depends on how much jforman is willing to stray from
80 the official bugzilla release). If everyone wants to shoot for 2006.1
81 for this new theme I will at least have 4 sites complete and ready for
82 the new theme. The others can be themed as I get them upgraded.
83
84 I know the redesign was a great big PITA. I faced many obstacles in
85 getting it put up live (the specifics are irrelevant). Now that I am a
86 full fledged Infra member with some actual authority and the support of
87 the rest of the Infra team (teaming up with neysx is also making it MUCH
88 easier) I can actually get (and AM getting) things accomplished.
89
90 I should copy this to my blog too so I don't have to repeat this a
91 million times....