From: Ian Kester-Haney <ikesterhaney@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: GLEP 42 (news) Round Seven
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 05:12:27
1 On 1/8/06, Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 01:18:20PM +0100, Jan Kundrát wrote:
4 > > Duncan wrote:
5 > > > Because that code will be implemented in portage, and the portage dev
6 > > > likely to implement it said it was a superfluous reference. =8^)
7 > > >
8 > > > Still, I'd prefer it referenced just for definition's sake, but when
9 > the
10 > > > portage dev says it isn't a superfluous reference, and
11 > that particular
12 > > > section is specifying portage implementation...
13 > >
14 > > Nope, that particular section is specifying methods of interaction
15 > > between Portage and user.
16 >
17 > It's not an issue.
18 >
19 > So... no complaints, this means this *is* on the schedule for council,
20 > yes?
21 > ~harring
24 > What happened to the central repository, I think that a central repository
25 for upcoming events critical to gentoo usage ought to be centrally
26 available. The GWN hasn't been up yet and I olnly read about the apache
27 upgrade in 2 of them. This GLEP makes sense as a LAST RESORT, I would
28 rathwer have one updatesd website in my rotation to get news of version and
29 package revisions that require configuration changes. How this is set-up is
30 up to infra, IMHO the home page stinks at getting information out for new
31 users eager to get into the nitty gritty. The Doc project home page doesn't
32 get updated very often as I can tell and the projects page doesn't even have
33 PHP or amd64 listed. There ought to be a "main" package category listing on
34 a news page somewhere that ids upcoming changes and general goals around the
35 packagin and configuration as needed to help alert users ahead of time.
36 Frankly, if I was a server administrator, I would rather be forced to
37 install the newer apache specifiaclly in a SLOT and get updates to the old
38 style. Telling me at the point of pre-installation only makes my job
39 harder.