From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The KDE overlay moves forward
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:00:45
1 On 3/18/08, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:21:49 +0100
5 > See the section "Slot Dependencies" in chapter 9 of
6 > http://www.mailstation.de/pms.pdf .
7
8 Yeah I was already reading the updated parts, thanks
11 > In non technical terms:
12 >
13 > :* means, effectively, that the slot isn't locked at compile time, and
14 > that if you build a package against foo:2, it will work at runtime
15 > with foo:1 or foo:3 instead. Examples of this are many things that don't
16 > do C-style linking.
17 >
18 > := means, effectively, that the slot is locked at compile time. An
19 > example of this is a package that can use any version of 'db' -- the
20 > package can often compile against any version of db, but if you remove
21 > the slot of the db version against which the package was built, the
22 > package will break.
23 >
24 > It's used by Paludis as a hint to --uninstall and --uninstall-unused.
25 > For normal dependencies, Paludis takes the safe option and assumes that
26 > if something has a run dep upon foo, all installed slots of foo are
27 > used. Using :* dependencies relaxes that restriction to any slot.
28 > Using := dependencies changes that restriction to one specific slot.
29
30 Ok thanks, is there any specific GLEP already? Or is it just a Paludis proposal?
31 I am just wondering when this stuff will hit the tree.
32
33 Thanks for the explanation
36 > --
37 >
38 > Ciaran McCreesh
44 Fabio Erculiani
45 Information and Communication Technologies Consultant
46 Sabayon Linux Chief Architect
47 http://www.sabayonlinux.org
48 --
49 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list