From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: ruby-fakegem.eclass - new eclass for ruby gems
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 13:58:01
1 Hi,
2
3 Hot on the heels of the new ruby-ng.eclass the ruby team presents our
4 new eclass for dealing with ruby gems: ruby-fakegem.eclass. This eclass
5 supersedes the current gems.eclass, which will be deprecated in due
6 time.
7
8 The new ruby-fakegem.eclass builds on the framework provided by
9 ruby-ng.eclass and as such can properly handle installing gems for
10 multiple ruby targets.
11
12 The eclass now handles the gems directly instead of via the normal
13 rubygems tool. This allows us to properly match the Gentoo ebuild phases
14 and thus supports patching and running tests.
15
16 The eclass also provides support for installing a gemspec file for those
17 packages that we install directly but where its dependencies expect it
18 to be installed as a gem.
19
20 There is a testbed with ebuilds here:
21 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/ruby-scripts.git;a=tree;f=ruby-ng-testbed;hb=HEAD
22
23 The eclass itself is attached to this message and here:
24 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/ruby-scripts.git;a=blob;f=ruby-ng-testbed/eclass/ruby-fakegem.eclass;h=4a247d8685f2e58a31ddc45c99726ff782ecb563;hb=HEAD
25
26 Kind regards,
27