From: Heinrich Wendel <lanius@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Menu - Bash vs. Python Rule files
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:36:44
1 On Thursday 14 August 2003 01:35, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 18:17, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
3 > > If it is a waste of developer resources, tell me why there is at least
4 > > one thread every month about such a system in forums, and why every
5 > > distro (meaning debian, suse, mandrake, redhat ...) has such a system?
6 >
7 > They are all also binary distributions and have complete control over
8 > the content they decide to include in their systems. They also only
9 > have to spend developer mindshare on exactly one version of each
10 > application per release. This is quite a bit easier than the multitudes
11 > of versions we have of some applications in the portage tree. I tend to
12 > agree that this is a waste of time that could be better spent elsewhere,
13 > at least in its current implementation.
14
15 This has nothing to do with being a binary distri. You are right at the second
16 point for suse,redhat,mandrake, but not for debian. I would say better do the
17 work now, it will be a lot of mork work to do it later.
18
19 mfg, Heinrich :)
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list