From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PS2 and Gentoo Linux
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 04:41:53
1 Vicente García Diez wrote:
2 > Thanks for your answer. I can see that the PS2's processor is rubbish :P
3 > Your answer is so interesting, thanks for the information about it.
4 > I think that psp's Linux support will came soon, but I don't have money
5 > to buy one :P
6
7 It's not entirely rubbish, as it can do some neat things like 128-bit math and
8 the like. It's just very unique. If it was a processor found in more devices
9 aside from a PS2, it'd probably have some level of support. I just think
10 given it's rather limited role, combined with the high price of the PS2Linux
11 kit (which was rather reasonable), and the age of included toolchain and
12 kernel (2.2.1!), and factor in that ~80-90% of the ps2-linux community either
13 doesn't know a thing about linux, or is interested in developing games only,
14 or is interested in doing other things with the hardware, all of these factors
15 make the system rather well, difficult.
16
17 R4000 is a more generic class of processor for PSP, so it should be easier to
18 code for once someone finds a way to crack the PSP (and given Sony admitted
19 the PSP firmware is updatable via the USB cable, this is only a matter of
20 time). Now the real fun will be in whether someone manages to get DSLinux
21 working (and I am aware of dslinux.com).
24 --Kumba
27 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small
28 hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."
29 --Elrond
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list