From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: preserve_old_lib and I'm even more lazy
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 06:38:49
1 Rich Freeman posted on Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:53:50 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > From what I've seen as long as you keep things simple, and don't have
4 > heavy loads, you're at least reasonably likely to get by unscathed. I'd
5 > definitely keep good backups though. Just read the mailing lists,
6 > or for kicks run xfs-test
7
8 > Oh, and go ahead and try filling up your disk some time. If your kernel
9 > is recent enough it might not panic when you get down to a few GB left.
10 >
11 > I'm eager for the rise of btrfs - it IS the filesystem of the future.
12 > However, that cuts both ways right now.
13
14 That's about right... along with the caveat that if something /does/ go
15 wrong on your not too corner-case, generally normal, lightly loaded
16 system, while there are recovery tools for /some/ situations, the normal
17 distribution btrfsck is read-only. The freshly sort-of available but
18 still rather hidden in the DANGER, DON'T EVER USE branch error-correcting
19 btrfsck, is still under very heavy stress testing internally by Oracle
20 QA. (As a result of those tests, there's a load of fixes headed to Linus
21 for inclusion, discovered just since 3.3-rc1. As a result of /that/ 3.3
22 should be the most stable btrfs yet, but that's still far from saying
23 it's stable!)
24
25 And yes, "filesystem of the future" DOES cut both ways, ATM. It's an apt
26 description and I too am seriously looking forward to btrfs. But it's
27 definitely NOT the "filesystem of now", for sure! =:^)
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman