From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 14:34:32
1 On 04/04/10 15:15, Dror Levin wrote:
2 > At first, I'd wish for things to be migrated from the unofficial wiki
3 > (if the license does not allow for copying, then re-writing it. Our
4 > users will do a lot of it, I'm sure). I'd wish to migrate a lot of
5 > things from the forums, after getting the authors permission if
6 > necessary. Maybe at some point I'd like the devmanual to be moved to
7 > the wiki (probably only editable by devs or a certain team, the
8 > specifics are not important right now). The quizzes can be put on the
9 > wiki. GLEP summaries in language users understand. Drafts for news
10 > items. The list goes on and on.
11 >
12 > Dror Levin
13 >
14 I'd like to ask what you think in launching a site that simply clones an
15 existing site is? Why take all the hard work the editors have put into
16 their articles on the unofficial wiki and duplicate them on another
17 site, creating TWO copies, both of which may be updated with different
18 information.
19
20 This is completely pointless.
21
22 And as someone who has contributed a lot to the existing wiki, I don't
23 care if it's official or not, but any site I find copying articles I've
24 contributed to (and certainly the ones I wrote from scratch) will suffer
25 all the wrath and abuse I can bring to it.
26
27 An official wiki should not be used to duplicate the existing unofficial
28 wiki (and I don't believe this is the intent of the developers who want
29 one). It should be used to provide additional documentation on top of
30 that provided by the existing wiki.
31
32 AllenJB