From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Using HTTPS mirrors only in thirdpartymirrors (when possible)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 05:35:50
1 On Mon, 2019-09-30 at 07:04 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Sun, 29 Sep 2019, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Why is it useful? In my opinion, the most important point is that it
4 > > stops third parties from sniffing what the Gentoo hosts are fetching
5 > > and using this information against them.
6 >
7 > It won't hide the fact that a connection was established. Also, the
8 > transferred data are public, and we verify them on the client side by
9 > a checksum. So the advantage of https is very limited here.
12 Many 'FTP' hosts belong to different tiers. There's a major difference
13 between knowing that a user is fetching *something* from big mirror of
14 everything, and knowing the exact precise thing being fetched. It may
15 mean knowing that the user is fetching vulnerable package (for whatever
16 reason).
19 Best regards,
20 Michał Górny