From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SHA256 and indention in metadata.xml
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:21:48
1 On Saturday 25 of June 2011 22:32:43 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > On 25-06-2011 14:23, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 6:16 PM, justin <jlec@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> Another question, do we have a rule, how the metadata.xml has to be
5 > >> indented? Tabs or n spaces?
6 > >
7 > > There's no rule, but we should follow the same rule as ebuilds —
8 > > indentation should be with a tab that's displayed as 4 spaces in
9 > > editors (no expansion of tabs to spaces).
10 >
11 > Talking from my own experience when doing retirement stuff, there seems
12 > to be two large currents on metadata.xml in the tree, using tabs and 2
13 > spaces for indentation.
18 > I personally prefer tabs, but I also like using EAPI="<version>",
19 > sorting everything alphabetically and even use the following depend blocks:
20
21 > *DEPEND="
22 > !<X-2.0
23 > !Y
24 > <A>
25 > <B>
26 > ...
27 > <Z>
28 > a? ( <X> )
29 > b? ( <Y> )
30 > c? (
31 > <J>
32 > <K>
33 > )
34 > "
35
36 ^^ is actually the main point of my "ebuild formatting nazi" agenda (usually
37 followed by "oh why did you break formatting in my shiny ebuild!11, revert!"
38 chants by various developers in case I happened to touch packages of theirs).
39
40 I never understood the reason after keeping deps not sorted alphabetically
41 where order doesn't matter - it's like someone purposely made ebuild harder to
42 read - it's counter productive.
45 regards
46 MM