From: Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Changes made by acct-* ebuilds
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 23:24:36
1 On 13/02/20 16:17, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 8:32 PM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
3 >> In short: It was a very bad decision that acct-* stuff is *changing*
4 >> existing stuff. This must be turned of *by default*. Maybe provide a
5 >> setting a user can put into make.conf to opt into current, still new,
6 >> behavior but by default, a package should never ever make changes to
7 >> *existing* user (unless it knows for sure it was the only source
8 >> creating that user and nothing was changed since creation which isn't
9 >> easy to track).
10 > I think it would make sense to add some eclass variables that would
11 > turn user.eclass functions into no-ops.
12 >
13 > I don't agree that this should be happen by default. I suspect the
14 > majority of users do not wish to manage system users/groups
15 > themselves.
16 >
17 I would suggest anyone competent enough to build a kernel from scratch
18 (genkernel users, I'm ignoring you) should be equally at-home managing
19 system users and groups and associated permissions? Or am I perhaps
20 overestimating the average Genbuntu users here ... >,<