From: Evan Read <eread@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] NEW ~arch KEYWORDS
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:32:56
1 On 2002.10.22 00:17 cycloon wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 15:25, Spider wrote:
3 > > Well, here's my take on it:
4 > > new sub-branch packages ( 2.0.1 to 2.0.2) will get the ~arch KEYWORD
5 > > tagged to them, and then after a week or so when the testing is done
6 > on
7 > > a wider base, will drop the ~ and become "stable" .
8 > >
9 > > For the new branch 2.1.x which is highly unstable alpha software
10 > you
11 > > will still have to dig in package.mask if it ever will be in. why
12 > you
13 > > ask? Because once again we will have to re-check all our gnome 2.0.x
14 > > packages to not depend on the 2.1 / 2.2 libraries.
17 > looks like debian/*BSD-like branching comes to gentoo. Extreme nice.
18 > Go on devs
19
20 I couldn't agree more! Theirs is a development model that I can
21 definately agree with.
22
23 Gentoo is looking better everyday. That, with the binary reference
24 platform mentioned in Daniel's article on O'Reilly's, are gonna put
25 Gentoo on servers which is great. I have said it numerous times.
26 There is more to Gentoo than just being source based.
27
28 Evan.