From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 13:46:11
1 On Sunday 08 January 2006 01:35, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > I agree that some cleaning is needed (and some of my packages are
3 > desperate for it!), but I'm totally opposed to this idea. I think the
4 > idea of shutting up shop for three months (presumably with a "closed
5 > for refurbishment" sign on the door) would let down our users who rely
6 > on us for regular package updates, and would be a massive PR disaster.
7 > Cleaning is something that has to happen all the time; it needs to be
8 > a natural and sustainable part of what we do every day.
9
10 As Donnie already pointed out, I did not mean version bumps, but only new
11 packages. How about this idea: Everyone who adds a new package, has to check
12 and fix an unmaintained package before. This should be a non-issue for
13 seasoned developers, but would slowdown those, who continually add new
14 packages without caring for what they should maintain as well as those who
15 become new devs, add a bunch of packages and hide again, leaving the
16 maintenance to others. This would also have the benefit of continuous QA of
17 unmaintained stuff.
18
19 Regarding PR: The quality of parts of the tree is more than enough bad PR.
20
21 > If you feel so strongly about this, why not setup a "cleaning crew"
22 > project that goes around doing exactly this?
23
24 Don't you think that it is pretty much barefaced to let a small group do the
25 dirty, boring and annoying work, while those who don't care a bit can
26 continue to do so?!
29 Carsten