From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: File collisions
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:16:44
1 On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 19:56 +0200, Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Matthias Langer wrote:
6 > > On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 09:06 +0200, Rob C wrote:
9 > >> Its obviously not, Many users are reporting file-collisions on a
10 > >> weekly basis. So either this isn't sufficient or the arch teams are
11 > >> not acting as you describe.
12 > >
13 > > Can you provide some bug numbers to backup this claim?
14 > >
15 > > Matthias
16 >
17 > I count 33 open collision bugs
18 > http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=collision
19 >
20 > and 21 of those reported by users with a non-gentoo email.
21 > http://tinyurl.com/3x9yt2
24 Well, these are quite some bugs; however, at least the x86 arch team
25 (can't speak for the others, but i think they do it the same way) always
26 tests packages with "collision-protect". Since i'm an arch tester, i've
27 never seen that a package where we found collisions went to stable,
28 before these where fixed. Of course, we may have missed some collisions
29 every now and then, as it is in practice not possible to *ensure* that a
30 package has no collision with other packages.
31
32 As for enabling "collision-protect" by default: I'm not sure if this is
33 a good idea for now, as my experience is, that a significant part of the
34 packages that fail with "collision-protect" do so because of stale
35 files, that have been left around by (older versions of?) portage. As
36 soon as this is no longer the case, enabling "collision-protect" by
37 default sounds like a very good idea to me.
38
39 Matthias
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list