From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] qemu/qemu-user changes
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:52:19
1 I'm about to reorder yet again qemu.
2
3 Before the idea was to provide just a single ebuild, qemu, covering it all.
4
5 The problem is that on a side we have the softmmu, full
6 emulator/paravirt that uses lots of libraries and has qemu-kvm sporting
7 some speedups over it from time to time; on the other we have qemu-user,
8 that doesn't have dipendencies and usually needs to be built statically.
9
10 qemu-user is nowadays widely used to have non-native chroot to speed up
11 building by overcoming non-cross-friendly build systems (hi
12 perl&python). With the patchset Fabio managed to put together we don't
13 even need to mess with hybrid systems due some key component for
14 building a recent desktop (e.g. cmake for kde) uncover bugs in the
15 machinery the hard way.
16
17 I'd add a new ebuild for qemu-user that is always static, with a
18 initscript to ease having the binfmt set up, it will be close
19 resembiling the ebuild qemu-user-static from sabayon and not colliding
20 with qemu.
21
22 Is anybody against to this approach?
23