From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Fwd: [gentoo-security] Trojan for Gentoo, part 2]
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 12:16:07
1 On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 20:43:27 +0900, Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
2 > The truth of the matter, as far as I can see, is that nobody cares enough
3 > about this issue to put the effort into planning, coordinating and executing
4 > a given solution. Somebody, please prove me wrong.
5
6 Whenever anybody has proposed such things they get shot down quickly,
7 mainly by the "we must remain backwardly compatible" crowd (or
8 something the "that is planned for future versions, but not yet"
9 crowd). With such a fundamental security problem backward
10 compatibility should be thrown out of the window; it's more important
11 to fix the vulnerabilities. But thats just my opinion.
12
13 Another problem is that a lot of people here don't seem to care about
14 security. We even had people arguing against stack-protector as
15 default because of a theoretical 3% performance hit on some rare types
16 of code. Even Microsoft with its poor security record is using stack
17 protection compilers now!
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list