From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 04:05:07
On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 08:52:42PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote: > > Cloning the repo [1] takes 200seconds on 8cores (it's 2GB of data and > > 22 minutes of 3.4GHz cpus). > As others have pointed out, probably the best way to bootstrap this is > to offer tarballs of a shallow repository and a full repository. > Perhaps we'd offer the latter as a torrent. The shallow repository > should be light on the CPU too.
no. i explicitly said before, there would be two repos: 1. main working repo, starts with ONLY initial commit. 40MB pack. 2. historical. read-only, you graft it to history to use. BOTH of these would have preferred download via git-bundle over HTTP/rsync. historical would NOT be available via clone due to cputime hit. please look up git-bundle before suggesting things like tarballs of repos/checkouts. -- Robin Hugh Johnson Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead E-Mail : robbat2@g.o GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85