From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Problems and limitations of the current version dependency specs
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 01:52:41
1 On 31/10/16 08:31 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, everyone.
3 >
4 > I would like to work on a major version depedencny specification
5 > improvements as part of the next EAPI. For this reason, I'd like to
6 > first gather some research on how developers are using the current
7 > system, what they find efficient and what they find cumbersome.
8 >
9 > Therefore, I would like to ask the following questions:
10 >
11 > 1. How often do you find '~' useful? Do you think there should be
12 > additional operators that ignore revision part?
13
14 The only time I have used this is when I've needed to synchronize the
15 version of two inter-dependent packages, while wanting to allow the
16 revision portion to vary.
17
18 I have generally found it a lot more useful to use this in my various
19 /etc/portage/ files than in ebuilds, though, especially
20 package.accept_keywords
24 > 2. How often do you find '=...*' wildcard syntax useful? To what
25 > purpose do you use it? Do you find its behavior confusing [1]?
26
27 I find that this syntax is rather useful and often is necessary, due
28 to it being difficult to properly define both minimum and maximun
29 versions otherwise at times -- especially when I want to use the := or
30 :0= slot operator. I don't find its behavior confusing once I became
31 educated on how it actually works; I do recognize that it *is not*
32 intuitive to the layman.
35 > 3. Do you sometimes find yourself using '<'/'<=' specs that
36 > accidentally match _pre/_rc/... versions?
37
38 No, but that is likely just because I tend not to deal with
39 dependencies that have _pre and _rc suffixes.
43 > 4. What are the common tasks that you find unnecessarily complex /
44 > lengthy with the current version specifications?
45
46 It is cumbersome to deal with limiting slots to a specific subset,
47 when wanting to leverage slot-operator rebuilds right now --
48 effectively you need to have two atoms, one with :=, and a second set
49 ||()'d with each of the slots that are compatible.
52 > 5. Do you find any other parts of the current version dependency
53 > specifications confusing?
54
55 The as yet still impossible means of dealing properly with multiple
56 packages that should either independently or when switching from one
57 to another trigger a (sub)slot rebuild is quite vexing at times.