From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:09:03
1 On 24-07-2012 10:59:08 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > > I still don't see why you'd bother all existing users with that
3 > > info. Just blog, or (better) write a nice email to -announce, and
4 > > update the install docs.
5 >
6 > The point of "bugging" all users was to minimize the risk of a user
7 > not being aware of the change. If the general consensus is that this
8 > should not be sent as news item (GLEP42), I'll drop itl
9
10 I don't know about general consensus. In my opinion, it's plain spam to
11 existing users. (And that would IMO be the xth news item in a row to be
12 spam.)
13
14 > > Also, can you exclude all Prefix profiles for this news item if
15 > > you insist on pushing it out?
16 >
17 > I don't know the specific methods to filter news items, so if you or
18 > others can help with that, I'd appreciate.
19 > If anyone has particular suggestions about who should see this news
20 > item, including the filter of how to achieve that, please let me know.
21
22 You can limit news items to certain profiles, so, you could make them
23 apply to the default/linux profiles, I guess. Not sure if the FreeBSD
24 guys are affected by your catalyst change. If so, they might want to be
25 included too.
29 Fabian Groffen
30 Gentoo on a different level