From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite: Firmware cleanup, part #1
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 13:08:21
1 Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina schrieb:
2 > atmel-firmware ipw2100-firmware ipw2200-firmware b43-firmware
3 > b43legacy-firmware rtl8192su-firmware zd1201-firmware
4 > zd1211-firmware
5 >
6 > None of these are blockers on linux-firmware, none of these are
7 > included in linux firmware, none of these should be masked with no
8 > replacement as we are breaking approximately 90% of wifi cards on
9 > laptops built in the last 5 years.
10
11 I think your 90% figure is unsubstantiated and likely too high. Many
12 budget laptops nowadays use Realtek, Ralink or Atheros chipsets which
13 have firmware in linux-firmware.git
14 Firmware for iwlwifi is in linux-firmware.git too (Intel 3945ABG was
15 introduced in 2006)
16 For new Broadcom chipsets (following the launch of the
17 brcmsmac/brcmfmac drivers in 2010) the same is true. Users of older
18 chipsets can still use b43-fwcutter.
19
20 > Only the following acctually show masked when I update:
21 > -net-wireless/rtl8192su
22
23 That firmware is not useful with modern kernels.
24
25 > Due to the damage this will cause I am removing the mask on these
26 > NOW, I will cleanup the ebuilds today but this is bad, really
27 > really bad. If we are cleaning up linux-firmware that's great, but
28 > someone needs to check that the things we are masking/removing are
29 > actually in linux-firmware...
30
31 You were asked to file a bug report in the mask message if you want to
32 keep them. I agree that the following should stay:
33 atmel-firmware
34 ipw2100-firmware
35 ipw2200-firmware
36 zd1201-firmware
37 zd1211-firmware
38
39 About the others, losing them is not too dramatic.
42 Best regards,
43 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn