From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] !!!Really worried about ebuild updates!
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 22:33:35
1 Couldn't be silent in the light of such plead :).
2
3 On Sunday 21 April 2002 16:51, al3x payne wrote:
4 > To whom it may concern:
5 >
6 > I'm really concerned about the number of ebuilds that are rapidly
7 > becoming out of date. I started using Gentoo, in part, because of the
8 I bet you started with gentoo in the pre-1.0 era ;).
9
10 It is true that generally ebuilds are not getting much attention lately, as
11 developers are hardly finding time to address bugs and other important issues
12 (now that gentoo user base significantly expanded in a very short time).
13 However ther is a hope :). We are currently looking at the ways to delegate
14 part of the work on ebuild testing and updates to users (the trick is to do
15 it preserving security and integrity of distribution). If you are interested
16 you can take a look at:
17 http://www.its.caltech.edu/~georges/gentoo/epsp/proposal.html
18 for one of the solutions proposed (comments and suggestions are appreciated!).
19
20 You can also look through gentoo-dev archives (last few days), threads:
21 "Improving stability - checkpoints" and some other related stuff for more
22 discussion (even if not directly addressing this but related).
23
24 However you should understand that resolving this situation will require quite
25 dramatic rewamp of portage and thus will take some time (with security and
26 stability addressed first!).
27
28 And, BTW the point made by Matthew Kennedy is an absolutely valid one! You
29 will save developers time by providing them with patches where you can in
30 addition to bug reports.
31
32 George