From: Matthew Marchese <maffblaster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New package neomutt
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2017 20:13:28
1 On 07/31/2017 03:52 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 31-07-2017 04:55:58 -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
3 >> On 17-07-31 09:11:19, Nicolas Bock wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> I would like to add neomutt to the tree. This new package is meant
7 >>> as an alternative and not a replacement of the existing mutt
8 >>> package.
9 >>>
10 >>> Thanks,
11 >>>
12 >>> Nick
13 >>>
14 >>> --
15 >>> Nicolas Bock <nicolasbock@g.o>
16 >>
17 >> It was my understanding that neomutt was mainly mutt with a bunch of
18 >> patches added on, from what I can see, those patches are already handled
19 >> by use flags in the mutt package itself.
20 >>
21 >> https://www.neomutt.org/about.html describes itself as a large set of
22 >> feature patches and not a fork as well. Are there missing patches that
23 >> need to be added to the mutt package?
24 >
25 > These days NeoMutt really is a fork, with a complete code-re-indent,
26 > function name changes, etc.[1] They move fast, deviating from Mutt and
27 > no longer submit patches to Mutt. It remains to be seen where both
28 > projects end up, IMO. It is no longer feasible to add features from
29 > NeoMutt to Mutt, and Mutt moves along its own path (with
30 > features/improvements) as well.
31 >
32 > For now it seems useful to me to have both mutt and neomutt around. I
33 > sent my detailed comments on the neomutt ebuild to Nicholas off-list
34 > already. The changes suggested should show even more how the two are
35 > different.
36 >
37 > Thanks,
38 > Fabian
39 >
40 > [1] http://mailman.neomutt.org/pipermail/neomutt-devel-neomutt.org/2017-April/000364.html
41 >
42 I second Fabians input here. Two packages are necessary.