From: waebbl-gentoo@××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Up for grabs: dev-python/pyside2
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 11:37:07
1 On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 07:06:06 -0400
2 Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 10:30:20AM +0000, waebbl-gentoo@××××××.net wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 23:11:08 +0100
6 > > Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Up for grabs because of inactivity.
9 > > >
10 > > > dev-python/pyside2 has several open bugs and a version bump pending.
11 > > >
12 > > > Needs some real love to tidy it up.
13 > > >
14 > > > Best,
15 > > > sam
16 > >
17 > > Wouldn't it be applicable to put these packages under the umbrella of
18 > > the Gentoo Qt project?
19 >
20 > It still need someone to maintain it either way, qt@ is rather small
21 > and Qt6 is likely to use up people's time already. Being m-n at least
22 > make its current state clear (up to qt@ though).
25 I can think of co-maintaining the packages, but it exceeds my resources
26 to being primary maintainer.
27
28 > > They're developed, published and hosted by the The Qt Company (in
29 > > contrast for example to PyQt5 or QtPy) and are only python
30 > > bindings for the Qt framework, although they're currently distributed
31 > > in a separate tarball and not with the Qt tarball.
32 >
33 > On a side-note I'll be adding PyQt6 to the tree once I can[1], but I
34 > don't use pyside for anything and probably won't be looking at pyside6.
37 I'm slowly working towards shiboken6 / pyside6. Pyside is needed for
38 the Qt6 move of FreeCAD, at it's current state at least.
39 There are discussion on completely moving to pybind11 instead of
40 pyside, but that's not yet decided. So I will probably need pyside6 for
41 the sake of FreeCAD.
44 > [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26504