From: John Helmert III <ajak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: www-servers/boa
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 19:07:48
1 On Fri, Dec 02, 2022 at 06:29:28PM +0000, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > John Helmert III wrote:
3 > > So much yapping on the mailing lists, and no response in the bug which
4 > > triggered the last rites...
5 >
6 > Apologies if I responed in the wrong forum. I thought on list would
7 > be good, why are those mails on the list if not?
10 > > So, Peter, do you use Boa?
11 >
12 > Not right now, but I have before and I might again.
15 > > If you do, what niche does it fill that isn't filled by anything else?
16 >
17 > That's a strange question. Why should I agree with or even
18 > reconfigure because of something that is in fact an error?
19 >
20 > I ask you to revert the lastrite not because it would break a use
21 > case of mine but because the CVEs do not apply to boa itself but to
22 > some unknown appliance that uses boa to serve unknown buggy CGI scripts.
25 > > There are multiple CVEs for it, is it really on us to discriminate
26 > > between which CVEs are valid and which are not?
27 >
28 > Yes.
29 >
30 > You are obviously /not/ responsible for what bogus CVEs people may
31 > report, but we're all responsible for the commits we create.
32 >
33 > I assume that everyone wants to improve the overall state with each
34 > commit - that we want to make things more correct since that's what
35 > enables reliability, hence yes: it really is on every one of us to
36 > verify our inputs before taking action on them.
39 > > We can't possibly hope to do that accurately in all cases.
40 >
41 > Some times it will be easy, other times less easy.
42 >
43 > In this case the CVEs could be dismissed by searching the source code
44 > for the file names in the CVEs. Or by having experience with what the
45 > package provides, in particular that it doesn't include any CGI scripts.
46 >
47 > Maybe the accurate bigger picture is that no (current) Gentoo developer
48 > knows enough about the package and thus can't be expected to action
49 > such bogus CVEs correctly without a couple of minutes of investigation,
50 > which would be too long, then I guess maintainer-needed is the most honest?
51
52 No, when a package is believed to be vulnerable, it is not responsible
53 for us to just leave it as maintainer-needed, that's not an accurate
54 reflection of the situation.
55
56 If you think the CVEs are invalid, maybe talk to upstream? Or MITRE?
57 Or anybody that isn't only a CVE downstream?
58
59 I also note that very few distributions package Boa:
60
61 https://repology.org/project/boa/versions
62
63 This is a good way to measure how many people care about the package
64 (and thus, its security health). If the commercial distributions don't
65 carry a package, nobody cares for it, and thus security issues are
66 unlikely to be tracked and handled well.
67
68 > The mere existance of CVEs can not be reason enough for any change,
69 > that would mean resignation to fear instead of encouraging rational
70 > behavior as required to actually improve technology. It would also
71 > create incentive for permanent denial-of-service attacks by way of
72 > bogus CVEs manipulating people into incorrect lastrites and other
73 > changes. I don't want that to become common.
74
75 That's not a real concern. We're not going to last rite something like
76 nginx simply because there's a CVE against it. In the case of Boa,
77 which doesn't seem to have been touched in approaching 20 years, the
78 impact of last rites is minimal.
79
80 > My question about the lastriting process was not an attack but a
81 > genuine inquiry. The answer I receive so far is something like
82 > "it can't work better because we react indiscriminately to CVEs",
83 > that's an honest answer (thank you!) but not great quality. Does
84 > everyone mostly agree with that policy?
85
86 It generally can't work better with MITRE being useless in many
87 cases. Yes, the CVEs seem garbage, but I can't say that
88 authoritatively, so I don't.
91 > Thanks
92 >
93 > //Peter