From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC:sys-apps/portage @overlay atoms postfix support
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 19:21:25
1 lxnay@××××××××××××.org wrote:
2 > Adding "@overlay" atoms/deps postfix support could really make life
3 > easier, especially because forcing specific atoms in *DEPEND hoping
4 > that these will be always pulled in from the same overlay is not
5 > something reliable, as you already know.
6
7 No. This is a terrible idea. The solution is to *fix the overlays*, not
8 force the user to intervene and fix things himself.
9
10 Conflicting overlay issues turn up on the Gentoo forums (check
11 Unsupported Software), and in pretty much all cases, once the
12 maintainer(s) of the overlay(s) are contacted about the issue, the
13 overlays are quickly fixed so that the next update sorts out the user's
14 tree.
15
16 Users should *not *have to take steps to fix overlay blocks and breaks
17 ahead of time; that should be the overlay maintainer's job, not the poor
18 end user.
19
20 > Comments are welcome, flames are not.
21
22 On that note, I'd like to offer a friendly word of caution, in the
23 interests of us all talking together and working through the ideas
24 presented in your threads.
25
26 In your last visit to our mailing list
27 (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/55180), you stated
28 that you'd like to make some sweeping changes to Gentoo, then you
29 started telling the developers why they all sucked ahead of time for not
30 implementing said ideas. And then you kept telling developers that they
31 sucked throughout the rest of the replies.
32
33 You expressed unwillingness to work with Gentoo developers through our
34 admittedly long recruitment process, instead wanting to push your
35 changes to our tree directly.
36
37 There wasn't very much accomplished on either side at the end of that
38 debacle, except some hurt feelings.
39
40 It seems that the discussions you're having in the binary packages and
41 overlay threads are already heading the same direction, and I for one
42 don't want that to happen. Telling people they're not allowed to express
43 disagreement is counterproductive.[1][2]
44
45 [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/61555/focus=61568
46 [2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/61530/focus=61560
47
48 So, folks, just take it easy. We don't have to accept every suggestion
49 offered to the list, nor do we have to reject it out of hand.
50
51 Thanks.