From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is anyone a prude?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:21:00
1 Hi,
2
3 znmeb@×××××××.net wrote:
4 > Well ... someone's gotta step in and say "No!", so I will. I've just witnessed
5 > and participated in a semi-debate on the value of devoting effort to
6 > Gentoo/CygWin. If Gentoo/CygWin isn't worth the effort to maintain, why on
7 > Earth are the developers wasting time on maintaining a package that does
8 > absolutely nothing but *syntax coloring* in a *single* editor for a language
9 > with a questionable name that is an 8-instruction Turing complete environment
10 > limited to a 30 kilobyte address space?
11
12 1. Getting Gentoo/* running and stable is a vast effort compared to
13 maintain such a package.
14 2. It's fun.
15
16 > Does Gentoo support the free APL derivative A Plus? How's that Axiom package
17 > coming along? How about ebuilds for Common Lisp Music and Common Music
18 > Notation? The x86-64 arch work -- that's all done, right? The GLSA integration
19 > with Portage?
20
21 We're not here to give you your dream system, we're here to have fun (at
22 least i hope so). Would you install an IRC server on a notebook and use
23 it to chat in a train where all people are less than 3 meters from each
24 other? It doesn't make any sense at all, but I can tell you, it's fun.
25
26 1. You can't force people to do what you want other than you pay them.
27 2. We're not one big dev-team, everyone has different interests. I'm
28 pretty sure some people won't ever work on e.g. Gentoo/AMD64 simply
29 because they don't have an amd64.
30
31 > something is easy doesn't necessarily mean it should be done. In this
32 > particular case, rather than ask if anyone **objects** to the package, let me
33 > ask "Is there a *compelling* reason why it **should** be in the Portage tree?"
34
35 Of course there is a reason: You can read your bf-programs easier.
36
37 Greetings,
38
39 blubb