From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 16:03:25
1 On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 04:44:26PM +0100, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
2 > On 20/03/18 13:17, Michael Palimaka wrote:
3 > > Could someone please explain how this doesn't directly contradict the
4 > > core tenets of an open and inclusive community?
5 > It's fairly simple to produce a justification of the decision. I can
6 > think of several ways of doing so. One is through an appeal to some
7 > notion of community health improvement from impeding toxic contributors.
8 > In this strategy, the argument would be something pertaining to how
9 > allowing these toxic posters free rein on the mailing list would
10 > contradict the core tenet of an open and inclusive community. There are
11 > several more ways to rationalise the decision.
12 >
13 > But you won't buy into either of those purported vindications of this
14 > decision. (I won't either.) So don't bother requesting them. Another
15 > aimless (and thus endless) back and forth in Jackal language isn't
16 > likely to achieve anything worthwhile beyond what the initial exchange
17 > achieved.
18
19 As the council member who voted against this decision, I am going to
20 express my opinion, even though it will be unpopular with the majority of
21 the council and probably others as well.
22
23 I do feel that this decision reflects badly on us as a community and
24 should be reversed immediately. The proper way to deal with people who
25 have bad behavior is to deal with them individually and not put a
26 restriction on the community that is not necessary.
27
28 William