From: "Henri Schomäcker" <henri.schomaecker@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Apache 2 & gentoo-standarts
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 07:50:20
1 Hi folks,
2
3 I just read your postings about the apache2 ebuilds.
4
5 Yes, you`re right: Let`s stick to the apache defaults with apache2, too!
6
7 What i mean is: lets have /usr as prefix and /etc/apache as sysconfdir.
8
9 Why not /opt or another path?
10 1) The advantage is, that then you can semlessly (is this the right word?)
11 emerge update from an apache 1.3 version to a 2.x version if the ebuild is
12 set up correctly, including mod_php etc...
13 2) The problem with other paths is, that eg. we then are forced to have a
14 different mod_php ebuild for apache2 because of the paths to the
15 config-files.
16
17 And why should we have another path for apache2.x than for apache1.x?
18 If really someone would want to install both versions, I`m sure, one is just
19 for testing and in that case, he/she shoud run one in a chroot environment.
20 and anyway, it`s just another version of the server.
21
22 If we stick to the apache 1.x paths, we just have to include a query in the
23 mod_php etc. ebuilds if an apache2 is merged to change the apxs option to
24 apxs2 and there we go without problems for future updates of apache or it
25 modules.
26
27 Unfortunately, I don`t know who provided the apache2 ebuild, but whoever you
28 are, could you please post your opinion to this discussion?
29
30 Me myself installed apache2 changing prefix to /opt and sysconfdir to
31 /apache2, but while installing this with ssl and php, I noticed the problems
32 and disadvantages we run into, when not sticking to the gentoo-defaults.
33
34 Right now, I`m starting to change the ebuilds paths and queries for
35 httpd-2.0.42 and the apache modules to fit the default-paths because I like
36 to have it done for myself as soon as possible because we are developing
37 apache2 modules. And we should have this done while still not so many people
38 have installed apache 2 with the actual providet paths. Lets keep the distro
39 consitent.
40
41 If someone is already working on this or even has it already done, please
42 contact me.
43
44 Thanks for reading, please post your opinion,
45 yours Henri
48 | Henri Schomäcker - VIRTUAL HOMES
49 | Datendesign für Internet und Intranet
50 | henri.schomaecker_at_virtual-homes.de
51 | http://www.virtual-homes.de
52 | Public Key: /.gnupg/public_key.txt
53 --