From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:14:05
1 On Thursday 23 March 2006 19:55, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > I agree. I would ask, what are the advantages of overlays that
3 > developers find so compelling that they use them rather than the
4 > portage tree? Would it not be a better idea to find a way to bring
5 > those advantages to the tree, rather the proliferation of overlays we
6 > are seeing?
7
8 Well. First of all I use a personal overlay to keep all things not valuable or
9 suited for the tree. The overlay repos allows to share them on the 4 systems
10 I maintain. The second reason for overlays is to test things in unison which
11 is not ready for the tree yet (not even masked).
12
13 > > No. It indicates nothing except that 58% of the 80 people who filled
14 > > out the poll are "not really happy with the way the portage tree is
15 > > handled" which by my counts, isn't even a drop in the bucket of our
16 > > number of users, making the statistic completely worthless.
17 >
18 > True. Nevertheless, it is the only statistic I have seen regarding
19 > users thoughts on this subject. Of course a larger sample size would
20 > be preferable. There should be more feedback from users - bug voting
21 > on bugzilla would be a start, why has it never been enabled?
22
23 You know "there is lies, damn lies, and statistics". In this case the poll
24 only says that of the 80 (small sample) respondents, 58% of people disliked
25 the handling of the tree. There are three problems with it. First the sample
26 is not random at all (only forum users, only users feeling strong enough to
27 respond). Second the sample is fairly small in relation to the user base.
28 Finally, the question is suggestive, so biassed to disliking of the tree. The
29 8% could very well already be caused by suggestive questioning, not to speak
30 about the sample selection.
31
32 Paul
35 Paul de Vrieze