From: Joshua Pollak <pardsbane@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposed Issuetracker via PEST
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:58:00
1 > How will users select a package in the Bug Tracking System if there
2 > are hundreds or even thousands of packages? Do they have to scroll
3 > through endless lists?
4
5 Well, I would break it down so you choose category, then package. That should
6 make it short enough to search by.
7
8 > The Debian BTS uses electronic mail. And there are at least two
9 > programs, e.g. reportbug, which is written in Python, that end-users
10 > can use to send bug reports.
11
12 Reportbug is usually how I've worked with Debbugs, and its pretty handy, but
13 if you don't remember exactly how to spell a package name, it can be a
14 serious pain. Also, browsing through all the other bugs to match one up with
15 yours can be a bit of a pain, although its a nice feature.
16
17 Anyway, I suppose Debbugs isn't a bad option, but I am really, really, really
18 repulsed by its web interface. I agree the web interface isn't always the
19 best one for entering bugs, but I think a clean web interface is the easiest
20 way to update bug status and keep track of what bugs should be worked on and
21 where they are in progress.
22
23 Debbugs search options and the search display are amazingly annoying... It
24 doesn't categorize the searches in any meaningful way, or allow you to adjust
25 the categorization. I think a system like PEST or ReportBugs, where it is
26 categorized, and you can choose the sort method is very important and useful.
27 Also, because Debian's search doesn't show the bugs in a tabular format, its
28 very hard to survey the returned bugs and see whats going on.
29
30 -Josh