From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> proposal
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 23:56:07
1 > On 5 Jul 2022, at 00:49, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 7:21 PM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> It had 3 states however:
6 >> a) go ahead and touch it, no additional approvals needed
7 >> b) please get a maintainer to approve it
8 >> c) do not touch it
11 > ++
12 >
13 > Though to be fair b is really no different from what just about
14 > anybody can do via a pull request. I don't think most maintainers are
15 > going to be hovering between a vs c. I suspect most are going to be
16 > divided between a vs b. I guess I could see an argument for c if some
17 > package is really finicky and tends to get a lot of repetitive
18 > requests for changes that won't work for reasons that might not be
19 > obvious, but I'm not sure if that is really a concern.
22 Right. Difference between b and c might make more sense if c became "run it by another developer as a sanity-check" (who is not necessarily a maintainer of the package, or obviously there's pretty much no point).
23
24 > --
25 > Rich
26