From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE=-native-symlinks for gcc-config and binutils-config
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 10:00:39
1 On 24-05-2020 10:48:47 +0100, Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
2 > On Sat, 23 May 2020 22:41:02 -0400
3 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 > > I don't think we
5 > > want to give people the impression that this is a well-supported
6 > > configuration. I would only expect people to disable this if they want
7 > > to break their system intentionally.
8 >
9 > Yeah, today it's certainly a way to get your system in a miserable state.
10 > My hope is that USE=-native-symlinks can get you a working Gentoo in a
11 > near future by only fixing real package problems and limitations of their
12 > build systems.
13
14 Portage adds PREROOTPATH, ROOTPATH and a standard set of
15 /usr/{local/,}{s,}bin to PATH in _doebuild_path. That means if you add
16 something like /usr/bin/native-toolchain to PATH only, users will get
17 gcc, ld, etc., while root and Portage will lack these. One can wonder
18 if root should have direct access to compilers, but it's easy enough to
19 add the compilers to PATH if really necessary.
20
21 I guess what I'm trying to say is: you can hide effect of the setup for
22 users if you'd like. That is, after we had buildbots point out the bulk
23 of packages that are wrong of course.
24
25 Thanks,
26 Fabian
30 Fabian Groffen