From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few modest suggestions regarding tree size
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:21:11
1 begin quote
2 On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:31:34 -0700
3 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > The one thing that your (previously known) method does bring out is
6 > that reducing the I/O required really helps.
7
8 Agreed, preferrably we should be able to distribute a bin-ball of the
9 files that we can rsync out, since if a file doesn't move inside it (as
10 is the case with filesystems) they stay on the same place and gets good
11 replication in rsync.
14 > Pack it into a loopback reiserfs instead, way better performance.
15 actually not. it kills performance to put a journalled filesystem
16 in a loopback system onto a data-journalling filesystem.
17
18 I care more about data and fragmentation than I care about performance,
19 that was the sole reason I first spiralled it off like this. The tree is
20 constrained.
21
22 As for the reiser protectionist idea, *cough* I don't have good
23 experiences with reiser, tailpacking, and performance.
26 > For an even bigger boost, put the loop file into tmpfs or use some
27 > other direct memory scheme.
28
29 Kills reliability. And performance isn't everything. (could just as
30 well increase write times on the hosting fs, increase it even more on
31 the loopback, then simply "cat filesystem.img > /dev/null" before
32 operations. I don't. )
35 Overall, I'm not after complete performance. I walk the middle road,
36 between performance and reliability.
39 //Spider
43 begin .signature
44 Tortured users / Laughing in pain