From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Changing default serial-console definition in inittab
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 00:39:50
1 On 04/28/12 01:29, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > Since I've been configuring a couple of systems lately for remote
3 > access, which include configuring the serial console, I'm wondering if
4 > it would be a good idea to change our inittab so that the default
5 > (commented out) definition of the serial consoles is a bit more.. modern.
6 >
7 > The current definition sets the console at 9600 baud, using vt100
8 > emulation; I think most of us who configure it, do so at 115200 baud,
9 > and some prefer vt-utf8 over vt100 (the two are partially compatible as
10 > far as I can tell).
11 >
12 > Of the two systems I've configured ­– a SuperMicro server which is the
13 > new tinderbox host, and an HP for work – both have the default IPMI
14 > configuration for Serial-over-LAN set at 115200, and the HP also had
15 > VT-UTF8 by default for emulation (SuperMicro defaulted to vt100 but
16 > still allows utf8).
17 >
18 > Comments?
21 Leave the old defaults, add an example with the new options?
22
23 Since serial consoles are not default the user will have to consciously
24 enable them anyway, so there are no "defaults"
25
26 Have fun,
27
28 Patrick