From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: Multiple root kernel command-line arguments
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 17:21:31
1 On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 05:59:14PM +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > On 2020-08-06 17:44, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > I'm not sure if you've noticed but there are people actively working
4 > > towards removing stale news items and trying not to dump everything
5 > > on once on a user freshly installing the system. Don't you consider
6 > > this a worthwhile goal?
7 >
8 > I don't see how this is conflicting.
9 >
10 > This news item can probably go away after 1-2 years.
11 >
12 > But for now, people who were just lucky will probably trigger this when
13 > upgrading to genkernel-4.1 on their first reboot due to switched device
14 > manager.
15 >
16 > But again: It's not a genkernel issue, so displaying that only for
17 > people who have genkernel installed would miss a bunch of users.
20 Wait, changes were made to genkernel to switch from mdev to (e)udev
21 which causes breakage, but it is *not* an issue with genkernel?
22
23 Aside from this, do we have any evidence or bugs validating that users
24 experience breakage with randomly named boot devices in kexec?
25
26 It is great that you found an issue, but why try and be agnostic as to
27 which one caused the issue? It looks worse that we cannot simply say:
28
29 "genkernel changed for the better and things *may* break now... please
30 read this!"
31
32 Instead, we are pushing a news item to a lot of people simply because we
33 *assume* it may be an issue for others with no evidence.
36 Cheers,
37 Aaron