From: Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte <kioshen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Wishlist: an automated package upgrade system with fine-tunable sysadmin control
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:42:51
1 On 4/26/06, Kevin <lists@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > What I really want is to make the process of maintaining Gentoo boxes
4 > over the long term easier (IOW: less time-consuming) than is now true,
5 > by adding some functionality that AFAICT does not now exist which would
6 > allow me to automate some things, turn off automation of other things,
7 > and as the sysadmin, have control over what those things should be. In
8 > my mind at least, the central theme in Gentoo of choice dovetails nicely
9 > with what I'm trying to describe here: control and choice that is highly
10 > fine-tunable by the owner of the box in regards to package upgrades.
13 > Regards,
14 > Kevin
15 > --
16
17 Have a look at GLCU (http://www.panhorst.com/glcu/). Might not be the
18 perfect solution for your needs but it might help. Tools like this
19 one, /etc/portage and a private overlay for testing and/or pinning
20 would be pretty usefull for you right now. Might want to check GLEP 19
21 IIRC for the enterprise tree idea.
22
23 Regards,
24