From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bootstrapping with NPTL
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:07:05
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 03 February 2004 14:32, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >
4 >>>I am currently bootstrapping on another system. I added "nptl" to the
5 >>>USE flags. I started scripts/bootstrap-2.6.sh. It gave me an error
6 >>>about sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.0 being masked so I edited the
7 >>>build and added x86 to KEYWORDS and ran scripts/bootstrap-2.6.sh
8 >>>again. Will this leave me with a from-scratch NPTL-enabled system?
11 > The main thing you need to remember is that to get an NPTL enabled system
12 > you need to actually run a 2.6 (or redhat) kernel. Else the moment that
13 > you try to use a threaded application it will fail. This basically means
14 > that you probably want to use either a 2.6 livecd, or delay nptl until
15 > you rebooted your own kernel.
16
17 I'm currently bootstrapping my new install from within my old install which is running
18 2.6.1. Is this sufficient? I'm currently in the 'emerge system' step and it seems to be
19 going okay.
22 Andrew Gaffney
23 Network Administrator
24 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.