From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Announce: new multiple KDEDIRs support
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 13:23:30
1 Announce: KDE multiple KDEDIRs support
2 -----------------------------------------------
3
4 I am now committing a new "kde scheme". It is considerably different from the
5 previous one. All KDE users are strongly advised to follow the upgrading
6 instructions below before emerging/remerging any KDE-related programs.
7
8 There have been several such changes in the last weeks, and I understand
9 remerging kde every time isn't pleasant. I've tried to make sure that the new
10 scheme is scalable and customisable enough to satisfy everybody and not just
11 the proverbial 99%, and is stable and solid enough to be used in its default
12 configuration for many KDEs to come. (Reminder: we have support for running
13 kde2 apps under kde3 and vice versa.)
14
15 Short description:
16 KDE 2,3 apps now install in /usr/kde/{2,3}, together with their respective
17 kdelibs, not in /usr anymore. This allows for multiple KDEs (even more than
18 two) and solves issues like the noatun crash-on-startup and the lack of icons
19 in kdm, and some other things too. Also apps from different KDE trees can be
20 run under any of the KDEs, which is a Gentoo-unique feature afaik.
21
22 Upgrading instructions:
23 Ideally, unmerge kde-base/* and all kde apps, then remerge them.
24 Remerging kdelibs and kdebase should be enough though. However, in this case,
25 after merging a new version of a kde app, unmerge all previous versions or
26 strange things may happen!
27 Before starting the new kde for the first time, rename your ~/.kde dir to
28 ~/.kde2, or it'll be deleted (kdebase2 creates a symlink .kde -> .kde2).
29
30 Have fun!
31
32 ---
33
34 Detailed info:
35 You don't need to read this unless you want to know how things work.
36 Also, DO NOT USE the technique described here for enabling custom KDEDIRs!
37 It is untested, unsupported and very un-standard. Please don't use it if you
38 don't have to. It is only for those who really need it, and even they should
39 wait a few days as I haven't really tested the non-standard KDEDIRs part yet.
40
41 The previous setup was this: kdelibs 2,3 lived in /usr/kde/{2,3}. *All* other
42 apps lived in /usr. Some (noatun, kdm...) and many Makefiles didn't like that
43 at all. Also you couldn't have more than 1 version of a package, particularly
44 of kdebase etc. So the whole multi-kdelibs idea was being wasted.
45
46 Due to all the problems KDE's unique (severely non-standard :-( ) structure
47 has presented, we have decided to abandon the attempt to make it behave in
48 /usr and will now give it a tree of its own.
49
50 The new setup:
51 There are 2 variables with default values set in make.globals:
52 KDE2DIR=/usr/kde/2
53 KDE3DIR=/usr/kde/3
54
55 kde.eclass (which all kde ebuilds use) directs all kde2 apps to install in
56 KDE2DIR, and all kde3 apps in KDE3DIR. It also tells them to use a kdelibs
57 installed there. Support for separating kdelibs and kde apps (for custom
58 solutions) isn't yet in, wait a few days for that.
59
60 A kde app installs into the current setting of KDE?DIR, so you can just
61 change that and things will install into your custom kdedir. Again, users are
62 highly discouraged from doing this! Detailed instructions and support for
63 those who really do need it (e.g. kde developers) will follow in a few days.
64
65 kdelibs adds the dir into which it installs to PATH (via env.d), and newer
66 kdelibs have higher priority (are nearer the beginning of the path). So, if
67 you install kde 2 and 3 (when 3 is available), KDE3DIR/bin will come before
68 KDE2DIR/bin in your path. The same goes for KDE?DIR/lib in LDPATH.
69
70 kdebase has a custom startkde script; it exports KDEDIR=<this kdebase's
71 prefix>. It also symlinks ~/.kde to ~/.kde2 (for kdebase2) or ~/.kde3 (for
72 kdebase3). It'll delete your ~/.kde, so back it up as per the instructions
73 above.
74
75 You'll have to configure your apps twice (once for kde2, once for kde3). When
76 you start using kde2/3, that is, when kde3-final comes out. You might play
77 with symlinks for the config files, or something like that, or I might come
78 up with some automation for this in the future.
79
80 kdm has a rather long list of session types, since the list is static all
81 possibilities are included. The correct ones for kde are kde-$version i.e.
82 kde-2.2.2 (the old setup had a symlink called kde).
83
84 That's about it. Enjoy!
88 Dan Armak
89 Gentoo Linux, Desktop Team