From: achumakov@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] GuideXML editor, tidyGuide and Google SoC
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 09:14:41
1 > jackdark@×××××.com wrote:
2 > achumakov@g.o wrote:
3 > > (snipped)
4 >
5 > Templates seem a bit . . . hackish. Mostly we also need
6 > documentation writers to be/who are comfortable with working
7 > with the XML code itself, tags and all.
8
9 First of all, we need _documentation_ and _documentation writers, don't we?
12 > WYSIWYG editors just don't strike me as a good idea for
13 > working on docs. Plus someone would have to make extensions
14 > to it every time another feature or three is added to
15 > GuideXML, like neysx's recent code highlights.
18 So, the template is the way: any good XML editor with a template
19 behaves well when the doc doesn't fit template: it just switches to
20 raw mode ;-)
21
22 Afaicr, making extension to 100-200 lines of template is still
23 far easier than patching a brand-new WYSIWYG editor, too.
24
25 > As long as users can use a plain text editor (gedit, leafpad,
26 > mousepad, bluefish, etc.), all they have to do (besides
27 > validating it with xmllint before
28 > committing) is run it through YosWink's repodoc [1], a
29 > thorough GuideXML QA checker.
30
31 How 'bout "Gentoo is about choice"?
34 > No need for big heavy editors like OOo and lots of extra
35 > plugins/templates/etc. :)
38 OOo etc could make editing more productive for those not familiar
39 with XML odds - just imagine why translation of Gentoo doc is
40 so slow and weak?
41
42 > Still, if this gets off the ground, I'll give it a test
43 > drive. I'm not big on WYSIWYG, but I'll try it out.
44
45 Thank you anyway.
46
47 --achumakov